Our beliefs and values affect everything. At Maple Grove we acknowledge the Bible as our authority and the following statements should help you understand the non-negotiable biblical ideas that fundamentally define who we are.
- We believe that there is one sovereign God eternally existing in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. is, He was, and He always will be. He created the Heavens and the Earth and everything in them. He is known as Father, came as the Son and lives in believers as the Holy Spirit. Genesis 1:1, Matthew 3:16, 17, John 1:1 -2, Acts 2:32,33
- We believe that Jesus Christ, God's only Son was born of a virgin, lived a perfect life, died as a substitute for us, and rose from the grave. He’s still alive and changing lives today! Colossians 2:9, Luke 1:30-35, 1 Corinthians 15:3-8, 2 Corinthians 5:21
- We believe in the Holy Spirit who convicts the world in regard to sin, righteousness and judgment, and indwells every believer comforting, guiding and equipping them for personal growth and service to Christ.
John 16:8; Acts 2:38; Ephesians 1:13-14
- We believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God and the final authority for all matters of faith and practice. It’s true, it’s accurate, it’s authentic and it’s absolutely applicable to our lives today. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- We believe that people are not perfect. We’ve sinned. All of us. We need help. We need Him. We also need each other and that’s what Church is all about. Genesis 1:27 , Romans 3:23 , 6:23 ; Acts 4:12
- We believe that salvation (the forgiveness of sins) is available only by the grace of God through the blood of Jesus Christ. It’s a gift. It’s free. It’s God’s grace, not your good deeds. Jesus’ death allows your sins – all of them – to be forgiven. Wiped out, canceled, deleted, erased…you get the picture. The gift is free; all you have to do is accept it. John 3:16, Ephesians 2:8-9; Colossians 2:6; Acts 2:38
- We believe that those surrendering to Christ need to repent of sin (change their mind about who is in charge of their lives), confess their faith (publically acknowledge that Jesus is Lord), and be baptized into His name (immersed in water). Romans 10:9; Acts 2:38; Mark 16:16; Acts 8:36, 38; Galatians 3:26-27
- We believe that the church is the Body and Bride of Christ the hope of the world. And our mission is clear and unchanging – bring people to a saved relationship with Jesus Christ, build them up in that relationship (making them fully devoted followers of Jesus) and then send them out into the world to make a difference for Him. Matthew 28:16-20; Ephesians 1:23, 3:10, 5:32, Colossians 1:28,29
- We believe that death seals the eternal destiny of each person. When Christ returns he will pronounce the eternal fate of each individual-the saved to eternal life in heaven, the unsaved to eternal separation from God in hell. That’s why we’re doing everything we can to share the good news about Jesus. God doesn’t want anybody to choose Hell, but He wants everybody to live with Him in an awesome forever (Heaven). That’s why we do what we do. Acts 1:10 -11, John 5:28-29; Daniel 12:2; 2 Corinthians 4:14
Hey, what’s up? Thanks for taking the time to drop in on our website. Let me give you a brief bio on the guy who stands up front most Sundays and talks about Jesus. I became the Lead Pastor at Maple Grove back in September of 2010. And let me tell you it has been a killer ride so far. I love this church! Prior to coming to ‘The Grove’ I have served in several churches in Florida and Georgia beginning way back in 1991. I also served 9 ½ years in the US Navy onboard nuclear submarines (USS Woodrow Wilson, USS Olympia), which may answer some of the questions you may have about me after you meet me.
Okay, let me tell you what drives me as a pastor - introducing people to Jesus and having Him come into their lives, so that they can live the lives God created them to live.
You see, here is what I know - there are way too many people who have yet to discover that they are much more than they think they are. No, I may not know you personally (yet…), but I know this about you without question – there is an amazing life within you waiting to be awakened!
Understand life on this planet is made better or worse by the people we choose to become. And listen, a deep growing relationship with Christ is how we become the people God intended for us to be; it’s how we live the life we always dreamed of living.
Yeah, that’s what drives me!
- Married to: Laurie Malone (when you meet her, you will immediately know I married way up).
- Children: we have 5 children (Chelsea Stevens 29, John Malone 26, Leila Riddle 21, Mei-Leigh 9, Jin-Tao 7). Mei-Leigh and Jin-Tao were adopted from China; they are awesome!
- The thing that gets me most fired up about what I do at The Grove: When something I share on Sunday helps someone in their journey to live the life they were created to live. Yeah, that totally fires me up!
- The funniest thing that ever happened to me in ministry: I once preached an entire sermon with my zipper down. I didn’t know it at the time, but after the service a 9 year old girl was more than happy to inform me.
- The verse of Scripture that has been my greatest anchor and hope through the years: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11
- My first job: I worked at a fast food restaurant in Baltimore, Md. called Ginos. I worked in the back cooking (and eating) Kentucky Fried Chicken. Truth be told, I still have a slight addiction to the original recipe.
- My first car: My first car was a 1967 Chevy Impala Station Wagon. It was a tank, and got about 10 miles to the gallon going downhill, in neutral. My friends affectionately referred to it as ‘The Malone Mobile.’ It died an early death when I ran a red light.
- My Favorite TV shows currently: Revolution, Once Upon A Time, Revenge, The Following, Guys With Kids, and The Walking Dead (not really into Zombie shows, but this is a really good show, seriously).
- My Favorite TV shows when I was growing up: I Dream Of Jeannie, The Brady Bunch, Star Trek
- Five books that have had a huge impact on my life (besides the Bible): Waking The Dead (John Eldredge), Seizing Your Divine Moment (Erwin McManus), Gods at War (Kyle Idleman), Me (John Ortberg) and Ragamuffin Gospel (Brennan Manning)
- My top five movies of all time: Braveheart, Gladiator, Count Of Monte Cristo, Blind Side, and Warrior.
- My two favorite bands while in high school: Styx and Supertramp
- My top two sports teams: New England Patriots, Baltimore Orioles
- My favorite kind of food to eat: Seafood, especially seafood pasta.
My top two favorite restaurants: Outback, Phillips Crab House
- My favorite Dr Seuss book: Fox In Socks (Yertle the Turtle is a close second)
- My most favorite (non Scripture) inspiring quote: “You are not what you think you are. There is a glory to your life that the Enemy fears, and he is hell-bent on destroying that glory before you act on it.” – John Eldredge.
Click here to email Steve.
I grew up in the small town of New Cumberland, West Virginia. After High School, I did the collegiate tour of America, starting at WVU, then Kentucky Christian (at that time) College, and ending up at Milligan College where I graduated with a double major in Christian Ministries and Business Administration (and the ability to write a good run on sentence). Then I went across the street to Emmanuel School of Divinity and spent five years working on a master’s degree. Towards the end of that, I married April, but that’s a whole other long story. During all of this time I worked part-time at several different churches, notably Hopwood Christian Church. After leaving Tennessee, I was doing youth ministry in Dover, OH and Pleasant Hill, CA. You might have noticed that I didn’t mention graduating from Emmanuel. In 2001, we came back to Tennessee and I finished that Master’s Degree. At the same time I started work on a Doctorate of Ministry program, and as you can guess, I haven’t finished that yet
It was at that time that God changed my focus of ministry. I had always led worship in various situations from college on. Back in California, Worship Minister had gotten added to my rolls as Youth Minister and Children’s Minister. But we believed that God was calling me to focus on Worship Ministry. We went to Kentucky for 3 years and then in 2005 we moved here to Charlottesville. It’s been a wonderful blessing to work with such great people to lead worship every Sunday here at the Grove.
- Married to: April Rodgers Children: Kes Rodgers
- The thing that gets me most fired up about what I do at the Grove: I get fired up when I listen to the worship team when everyone is in the right place spiritually when we walk on stage to lead worship.
- The funniest thing that ever happened to me in ministry: In between songs I went to put my capo on my guitar but turned my head before I had it set. Unbeknownst to me I had placed it a half step off. When we started playing, I was thinking, “Who is playing in the wrong key?” As we went through the first verse everyone adjusted into the same key. Halfway through the song I looked down and realized that I had been in the wrong key and that the entire band had transposed there music on the fly to the key I was playing in. For a second I started to reach to move my capo, putting it back in the original key. Then stopped, saying in my head, “Oh, that would be bad idea (now that everyone was in this key).”
- Favorite Scripture: Romans 8:38-39 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- First job: I was a life guard
- First car: A red Reliant K-car.
- Current TV shows: Word Girl and The Avengers: Earth Mightiest Hero. I have a five year old.
- Favorite TV Show growing up: M.A.S.H., Hogan's Heroes
- Five Books that have had a huge influence on my life: Bible, the Great Divorce, Waking the Dead: The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive, A Prayer for Owen Meany, Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire
- My Top Five Movies of all Time: The Shawshank Redemption, the Matrix, Groundhog Day, Dave, Lord of the Rings (all of them), Casino Royale, Casablanca (seemingly I can’t count)
- My two favorite bands while in high school: Boston, U2
- My top two sports teams: Pittsburgh Steelers, WVU football team "Let's Go, Mountaineers!", and Pittsburgh Penguins (yes, I know that's three.)
- My favorite kind of food to eat: Sandwiches
- My top two favorite restaurants: Orient Express, Phillip’s Crab House (only the one on 21st street in Ocean City MD)
- My favorite Dr. Seuss book: Green Eggs and Ham
- My most favorite (non Scripture) inspiring quote: "All we have to fear is fear itself"
I love students! I just can’t get enough of them. I believe that they are the most passionate, honest and transparent people in the church today. I am committed to helping students develop a passion for Jesus, His word, and worship. I have been in youth ministry since 1999, serving in Atlanta, Georgia and Orlando, Florida and then I was given the privilege of joining the team at Maple Grove in June of 2011. My goal is to have each student that comes through our doors understand that they matter to GOD and that they play a HUGE part in what GOD is doing here on this Earth.
- Married to: Steve Malone Children: Chelsea, John, Leila, Mei-Leigh and Jin-Tao
- The thing that gets me most fired up about what I do at The Grove: The students! They are honest, transparent and are truly trying to live their life as a Kingdom Worker.
- The funniest thing that ever happened to me in ministry: There are just too many to pick just one. Each week it seems like something new happens that cracks me up. From students being just plain ridiculous, to me tripping over my words trying to deliver a message.
- The verse of Scripture that has been my greatest anchor and hope through the years: Psalms 46:10
- My first job: At the Crawford County Fair making fresh squeezed lemonade. My arms never hurt so much!
- My first car: I have no idea (I’m a girl)
- My Favorite TV shows currently: Law and Order, The Following
- My Favorite TV shows when growing up: Happy Days (WOW I’m old)
- Five books that have had a huge impact on my life: Seizing your Divine Moment by Erwin McManus, Dodging the Dragon by Mark Moore, Crazy Love by Francis Chan, Forgotten God by Francis Chan, Humility: True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney
- My top five movies of all time: Pride and Prejudice, Braveheart, Godfather 1, Godfather 2, Godfather 3
- My two favorite bands while in high school: ZZ-Top, Aerosmith
- My top two sports teams: Miami Dolphins, anyone playing AGAINST the New England Patriots
- My favorite kind of food to eat: Italian
- My top two favorite restaurant: Olive Garden, Hibachi Grill
- My favorite Dr Seuss book: …shoot me… I don’t have one…
- My most favorite (non Scripture) inspiring quote: "It is either all of the Word of God or none of the Word of God. To slice it up is to compromise its authority." AW Tozer
Click here to email Laurie..
- Married to: Fred Genchi
- Children: Joe, Dion, Wendi, Lynsey and their spouses - more importantly grandkids! We’re anticipating the birth of our first great-grandchild in April 2013.
- Purpose: To partner with parents to share Jesus with their children & seeing the SON burning bright in a child’s actions & attitudes
- Humorous Memory in Ministry: Nothing can compare to watching children re-enact a Bible story
- Favorite Scripture: 2 Corinthians 5:17, How wonderful and great to receive God’s mercy & forgiveness…we can ALL be new creatures IN Christ.
- First job: Cashier at a clothing store
- First car: 1978 blue Toyota Corolla
- Favorite TV show: Anything on HGTV
- Favorite TV show as a child: Partridge Family
- Favorite books: Too Small to Ignore by Stafford, Unexpected Adventure by Mittleburg, Dangerous Church by Bishop, Power of a Whisper by Hybels, Transforming Children into Spiritual Champions by Barna, Crazy Love by Chan
- Top 5 favorite movies: Sense & Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice, Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Finding Nemo
- Favorite bands: “Bread”, “Chicago” & Bobby Sherman
- Favorite teams: USC and UVA
- Favorite food: MEXICAN!!!!
- Favorite restaurants: Don Jose’, Bubba Gump’s
- Favorite Dr. Seuss book: “The Sneetches”
- Favorite quote: “Fail to Plan or Plan to Fail” and “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose”
Click hereto email Sylvia.
(as of January 1, 2013)